Cooking fire spreads in home

A fire caused irreparable damage to a home in Hill Street, Colac.

A fire caused irreparable damage to a home in Hill Street, Colac.

A Colac rental house will likely be up for demolition after a kitchen fire gutted the building.

Colac Fire Brigade captain Scott Peschel said the fire started on the stove about 9.20pm Saturday, and flames spread through the Hill Street home before firefighters could bring it under control.

“A couple of guys were at home watching the football, and they left cooking on the stove unattended,” Mr Peschel said.

He said the cooking caught fire, and flames had already spread to the roof before the residents noticed the fire.

Mr Peschel said the fire caused extensive damage to the house.

“The house is still standing, but it’s going to be a demolition job I’d say,” he said.

For the full story see today’s Colac Herald.

Buy the Colac Herald print edition, which has full coverage of all the region’s news and sport. Click here to find out where to buy a copy.

Comments are closed.