Council pushes for port cash

Colac Otway Shire Council and harbour representatives will meet Victoria’s Ports Minister to push for upgrades to the Port of Apollo Bay. Pictured is Apollo Bay Fishermen’s Co-op commercial manager Alan Nicholls.

Colac Otway Shire Council representatives will meet with Victoria’s Ports Minister to push for a long-awaited safety upgrade to the Port of Apollo Bay.

The council manages the State Government-owned port and has identified a need for harbour dredging and repairs to the breakwaters, winch, slipway, boat ramp and jetty.

The council’s agreement to manage the port expires on June 30 and the council detailed in September last year that repair works would cost $14.6 million, with a risk the port would close in the next two to three years without maintenance.

A council spokesperson confirmed that chief executive Peter Brown had arranged to meet with the Ports Minister Melissa Horne, who was elected to State Parliament at November’s election.

“Council will also be raising the issue about the state of the port and need for funding to all sides of politics and representatives,” the spokesperson said.

Apollo Bay Fishermen’s Co-op director Markus Nolle said he would be among harbour representatives to attend the meeting next week.

See today’s Colac Herald for more.

Buy the Colac Herald print edition, which has full coverage of all the region’s news and sport. Click here to find out where to buy a copy

Comments are closed.