Plenty of action in Colac district league football

Roos’ coach says side can still improve after big win

Alvie veteran Paul Cass takes a spectacular mark over South Colac’s Kalen Iselt.

SOUTH Colac coach Stephen Hammond says his side can improve despite defeating Alvie by 68 points.

The Roos led for the entire match in their firs home game of the year at Joiner Reserve.

But a second-quarter lapse that featured Alvie outscoring the home club by two points was enough to tarnish an otherwise dominant performance for the first-year coach.

“I wasn’t really happy with the performance of South Colac, the whole second quarter was lazy,” Hammond said.

“Our first quarter was brilliant, then the boys went a bit slack, I think we thought it was going to be an easy game,” he said.

Alvie’s Mitch Williamson chases down Roo Justin Mooney at Joiner Reserve on Saturday.

South Colac hit back in the second half, restricting Alvie to just one goal while Roos Zac Hammond, three goals, and Adam McNamara, three, chipped in to extend the lead.

And when returned Roo Daniel Roberts and Dave Marendaz got South Colac’s midfield running, there was no stopping them on the road to a 18.9 (117) to 7.7 (49) victory.

“They just ran all day, they really used their pace, they were the only two that Alvie couldn’t control,” Hammond said.

“And Josh Goonan had another good game, he played forward, back and centre,” he said.

Alvie’s Luke Riches impressed in his return to senior football on Saturday, injecting experience into a young midfield brigade, while Liam McGuane was also unscathed in his first game back from a collarbone injury.

But the Swans’ horror injury run continued with Justin McGuane twinging a hamstring and recruit Aidan Spence coming off the field with a suspected broken arm.

Alvie coach Murray Williamson refused to use the injuries as an excuse.

“South were just too good,” he said.

“We had a go, I couldn’t question the effort our guys put in, we just didn’t play smart footy and we made too many mistakes.”

Otway Districts ready for tough month

by Aidan Fawkes

OTWAY Districts hope to use a motivating win against Western Eagles as a launching pad to attack a tough month.

Otway Districts forward Martin Angus marks in front of Western Eagles’ Sebastian Digirolamo in the Demons’ 99-point win at Irrewillipe.

The Demons turned their focus to hosting Simpson this weekend after accounting for Western Eagles by 99 points, 23.14 (152) to 8.5 (53), at Irrewillipe Recreation Reserve.

Matches against Forrest, away, and Lorne, home, also loom on the horizon for what shapes as a season-defining period for the Gellibrand club.

With context, Saturday’s hit-out against the Eagles allowed Demons footballers to play themselves into form after a three-week break.

But rather than lethargic, it was a refreshed Otway Districts side which hit the ground running.

It piled on five goals by quarter time, 10 by the long break and, with the match done and dusted by three-quarter time, completed the job with an eight-goal final term.

Demons midfielder Stewart Sutherland gets a kick away on Saturday.

Statistically, Otway Districts won the centre clearances 21-9 and the inside 50s 49-26. Otway Districts assistant coach Stewart Sutherland said he was buoyed that a band of young players found valuable football ahead of greater challenges.

But Sutherland was just as pleased to reap the four points after the Demons started the season poorly against Colac Imperials.

“It was pleasing. A few young guys got a bit of confidence out of it, and the four points to start off the season are good,” he said.

The young brigade might have been better served by the win, but the experienced heads set it up.

Former Drysdale ruckman Daniel Gage teamed with Sutherland to take control out of the centre while Tom Harriott booted nine having been freed up to play forward.

Ben Martin and Aaron Mahoney also won plaudits for their roles in defence.

“The centre was really good. Obviously Daniel Gage in there got first hands on it, so that was handy, but around the ground we need to pick it up a bit,” Sutherland said.

“Inside 50s there were plenty of them but we need to get a bit more direct,” he said.

“We’ve got to improve our fitness, I’d say, but other than that, our attack on the footy was great, the one percenters were really good and people started playing their roles.”

For the Eagles, Dillyn Fedley, John Tate and Ash McLachlan kicked two goals each.

Young winger Joel Theodore and defender Matt Kenny never stopped trying and Paul Kruger was good around the packs.

The Eagles have a bye this weekend.

Gutsy effort earns victory for Bombers

A GUTSY fourth-quarter effort earned Irrewarra-Beeac a come-from-behind victory against Forrest.

Little separated the two clubs for three quarters at Forrest Recreation Reserve and victory was still well and truly up for grabs as the teams took the field for the final term.

It was the Bombers who took the opportunity, notably midfielder Jeremy Monaghan, who finished the game on the bench with a hamstring injury, and skipper Jason “Toza” Cartwright who led the away team to a six-goals-to-one final term.

Coach Khan Beckett, moved to the forward line, teamed up with youngster Dylan Nowell to kick three goals each and take away a 16.19 (115) to 12.16 (88) win.

“It was a good game to be involved in, a lot of people stepped it up from the Simpson loss,” Beckett said.

“We knew the backline had to be tighter, they had to punch and put in second efforts – we pride ourselves on second efforts and hard-ball gets.”

Former senior premiership player Nathan Harty stepped up from the reserves in the absence of Rob Elborough and added experience to the Bombers’ forward line, and slotted two majors.

“Forrest ran us off our legs in the first bit, they were a lot more aggressive at the ball but credit to our boys they kept at it,” Beckett said.

Forrest coach David McKiernan said his team, which was without ruckman Mitchell Stewart, playmaker Leigh Hay and assistant coach Jake Holz, would not dwell on the missed opportunity.

“We’ll put it down as a big learning curve, we didn’t continue doing what we were doing well for the first three quarters,” he said.

“The thought process dropped off a bit, and we can look back on it and make sure when the game’s tight, that each individual is doing what they need to be doing.”

Irrewarra-Beeac will face its third straight test when it meets Lorne this weekend, while Forrest meets Colac Imperials.

Lorne wins Coastal Cup but Hawks step forward

APOLLO Bay is not getting ahead of itself despite taking a much-needed step forward in the Coastal Cup.

The Hawks, who had kicked just 2.8 (20) in their first two encounters combined, showed they had begun to gel together despite losing to Lorne by 72 points.

They trailed by just one goal in the first term and looked like being competitive despite losing skipper Jeremy Ellis to a knee injury.

Hawks spearhead Chris Canavan finished with seven goals but it was Lorne’s forwards Ryan Evans and Dan Hermans, six goals each, who would celebrate post-match.

The Dolphins regrouped at quarter time at Stribling Reserve and didn’t look back, kicking away to a 20.20 (140) to 10.8 (68) victory.

But despite kicking three times its previous season tally, Apollo Bay coach Brian Brown said the Hawks still had a lot of work ahead.

“The boys got themselves up for the Lorne game, our new guys weren’t available so we had about five under-17s come up who were terrific,” he said.

“We’re starting to gel together a bit better but Lorne still won quite easily, so we’re not going to get too carried away.”

Saturday’s result earned the Dolphins the Coastal Cup, which had resided at Apollo Bay since last season’s round 10 upset.

Forward’s return sparks Tiger victory

Simpson forward Aaron Harding

SIMPSON spearhead Aaron Harding’s return to football sparked the Tigers’ dominant performance against Colac Imperials.

Harding kicked three goals in his first senior match in 12 months, after doctors told him there was a possibility he might never again play the sport he loved.

The round three return was also seven weeks earlier than he had hoped pre-season.

Co-coaches Chris and Leigh Walsh have eased the key forward back into the game as his match-fitness returns.

“He done well for us, we used him in spurts and when he came on he did some really good things,” Chris Walsh said.

“He’ll take a few matches to get to full match-fitness, hopefully after that he’ll be ready to come on and have a big impact,” he said.

Meanwhile, a decision to move key defender Corey Baulch to the forward line continued to pay dividends in the Tigers’ 19.10 (124) to 5.3 (33) victory.

Walsh said the Baulch move stemmed from in-form backline, led by Dave Weel and Brendan Hickey, which restricted Imps to just eight scoring shots.

“We couldn’t find a spot for Corey in the backline – they’ve been doing so well so we thought we could try him up forward,” Walsh said.

“The first 10 or so goals we kicked up until half time, I reckon he would have had a hand in every one of them,” he said.

To add salt to Imperials’ wounds, midfielder Tyson Finnigan will face the tribunal this week to contest an alleged attempted strike report for an incident with Tigers skipper Brad Salmon in the final quarter.

Imps coach Craig Williams called the match a “reality check” for his team, which was undefeated before the weekend.

“It shows where we’re at and what areas we need to improve on,” he said.

“I can’t fault the effort of our guys, basically our execution let us down, they were just a little bit better on the day.”

Click here for more Colac district football information and detailed results.


Comments are closed.