Fire guts holiday home

A COLAC man says he is devastated after fire gutted his family’s holiday home.

Norm Slater is counting the cost after an electrical fault sparked a blaze in his on-site caravan and annexe at Apollo Bay’s Pisces Caravan Park.

Authorities estimated the fire caused between $40,000 and $50,000 damage.

Mr Slater, who holidays at the park frequently with his wife Leanne and sons Dylan and Jack, said the family was shocked.

“We go down there during the Christmas break and for school holidays so we’re pretty devastated about it actually,” Mr Slater said.

“We go down there fishing a lot, now we’ll just have to wait and see what happens and regroup I suppose – it’s a bit of a shock,” he said.

“There was a lot of personal stuff and a fair bit of gear in there and that’s all destroyed.”

Mr Slater said the van, which was unoccupied at the time, was insured and assessors were evaluating the damage.

He said Monday morning’s blaze wouldn’t stop his family from holidaying at the site, which he said they would clean up and retain despite the fire.

“Once the insurance assessor goes through everything we’ll get the site cleared and see what happens,” Mr Slater said.

“We might have to get a tent on the site and camp this Christmas,” he said.

“If we were down there at the time or it happened over the Christmas period it would have been a total disaster.”

Apollo Bay Fire Brigade captain David Howell said caravan park staff removed nearby gas cylinders and cut power to the van before fire crews arrived.

Mr Howell said an electrical fault was the likely cause of the blaze, which “internally gutted” the van and its solid annexe.

He said firefighters spent an hour at the scene from 9.20am Monday.

Comments are closed.