Fire destroys family’s property

Apollo Bay residents organised support for a family after fire destroyed their home at Marengo this week. The fire engulfed the Ferrier Drive property before firefighters could control the blaze.

Apollo Bay residents organised support for a family after fire destroyed their home at Marengo this week. The fire engulfed the Ferrier Drive property before firefighters could control the blaze.

APOLLO BAY residents have rallied around a family after fire destroyed their home at Marengo this week.

Scott Felstead, his partner Denise and his son Hunter’s Ferrier Drive property at Marengo went up in flames before Apollo Bay firefighters could save the home.

Marengo neighbour Tricia Goodlet has helped organise a campaign to encourage people to donate money and furniture to the family.

Apollo Bay businesses have placed posters in their shop windows to raise awareness about Tuesday night’s fire.

The town’s supermarket and the Apollo Bay Bakery are also accepting cash donations.

Hunter’s mother Louise Fairney has co-ordinated donations of furniture, household goods and equipment.

Ms Goodlet said Mr Felstead and his family had been “blown away” by the support.

“Everyone is rallying around them, they’re staying with neighbours until they find somewhere to live,” she said.

“Most of the shops along the main street have little posters encouraging people to support them and they’ve provided Scott’s bank account details.”

Flames engulfed the house before Country Fire Authority appliances arrived to contain the blaze.

A powerline fell and sparked in front of the property which halted firefighters’ efforts until Powercor technicians arrived.

Apollo Bay brigade captain David Howell said crews ensured surrounding properties avoided catching fire.

“It was fully alight when we got there,” he said.

“The occupants weren’t home at the time and there wasn’t a lot we could do to save anything.

“We checked to make sure the neighbouring properties were okay and basically just put it out.”

Ms Goodlet, who lives opposite Mr Felstead’s home, said the sound of glass breaking alerted her to the fire.

“We thought Scott was putting glass in the recycling bin but then we saw massive flames; we actually had a broken window from the heat,” she said.

“The whole front of the house had exploded by then, I rang 000 and they were there within minutes.”

The Marengo fire was the second Colac district house fire on Tuesday after a bungalow caught alight at Wye River.

Firefighters also attended a minor house fire at Marengo on Wednesday when a house flue caught fire at a Galbraith Way home.

Buy the latest Colac Herald print edition for full news and sport coverage. The Herald is available at more than 50 outlets across the region.

Comments are closed.