Teenagers act fast at fire

Firefighters from Irrewarra, Colac, Beeac, Yeo, Birregurra and Warrion battled a house fire at Irrewarra. Police and ambulance officers also attended the blaze.

Firefighters from Irrewarra, Colac, Beeac, Yeo, Birregurra and Warrion battled a house fire at Irrewarra. Police and ambulance officers also attended the blaze.

QUICK-THINKING teenagers have helped slow the spread of a house fire at Irrewarra.

Six Country Fire Authority crews attended the blaze at Pyles Road which was sparked by a faulty washing machine.

Renters at the house closed the laundry door when they noticed the fire and called emergency services.

The fire destroyed the laundry, and two-thirds of the roof but firefighters managed to save the structure after attacking the blaze internally using breathing apparatus.

Irrewarra Fire Brigade captain John Martin said crews responded quickly after receiving the call-out at 3pm, Friday.

“Irrewarra was first on scene closely followed by the Colac pumper who then proceeded to do an internal attack with breathing apparatus,” he said.

“That initial attack saved the day.

“The fire was confined to the laundry which was totally destroyed and the fire escaped just into parts of adjoining rooms.”

Mr Martin said two teenage occupants helped reduce the spread of the fire.

“Upon noticing the fire they immediately shut all doors leading to the laundry and called 000,” he said.

“It was these actions that significantly reduced the spread of the fire.”

Buy the latest Colac Herald print edition for full news and sport coverage. The Herald is available at more than 50 outlets across the region.

Comments are closed.