Two residents escape burning Colac house

Colac, Larpent and Cororooke fire brigades attended a house fire are Lawrence Court, Colac. The CFA is reminding people to take precautions to prevent house fires this winter.

Colac Fire Brigade captain Scott Peschel says a working smoke detector helped saved the lives of two Colac residents whose house was gutted by fire.

Mr Peschel said Country Fire Authority crews received a call Wednesday at about 3am to attend a house fire at Lawrence Court, Colac.

He said an electric blanket on a chair had ignited from overheating.

Mr Peschel said two people were at home when the fire started and that “if it wasn’t for a working safety alarm, things may have been different”.

Crews from Larpent, Colac and Cororooke attended the scene to find the house fully involved and worked for about half an hour to control the
fire.

Mr Peschel said the fire was threatening a neighbouring property due to wind, and that CFA crews worked to protect the neighbouring home.

He said CFA crews blacked out and extinguished the fire for about two hours after controlling the blaze.

See today’s Colac Herald for more.

Buy the Colac Herald print edition, which has full coverage of all the region’s news and sport. Click here to find out where to buy a copy.

Comments are closed.